Asparagus, sundried tomatoes & black olives
Ingredients – Makes 12 muffins or 1 loaf
100ml olive oil, plus extra for greasing
250g asparagus spears, each cut into smallish pieces
200g all purpose or whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp thyme leaves
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Handful pitted black olives
100g sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
100g Gruyère, grated
0. Pre-heat oven to 190C/fan 170C. Oil and line the base of a loaf tin (approx 22 x 10 x 5cm) with baking paper.
1. Cook the asparagus in boiling, salted water for 2 minutes, drain, and cool quickly under cold running water. Dry with kitchen paper.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and thyme in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, and then add the eggs, milk and oil, stirring all the time to draw the flour into the centre. Beat for 1 min to make a smooth batter.
3. Reserve some asparagus tips and a few olives. Add the remaining asparagus, tomatoes, olives and two-thirds of the cheese to the batter.
4. Pour into the tin and put the reserved asparagus and olives on top.
5. Bake until the cake/muffins feel firm to the touch and is golden and crusty on top. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for another 5 minutes. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.